Friday, March 04, 2005

Stream of consciousness effort composed whilst waiting for a bath to run...

Somewhere in the dark recesses of the earth, there is a heated discussion going on. On one side of the fire sits the funk of 50,000 years and on the other the 6th son of a 7th son.

"I can't believe how unlucky I am," moaned the funk of 50,000 years, "that non-entity, the funk of 40,000 years is celebrated whereever any of us go, just because he was mentioned in that song by the dancing guy. I've got 10,000 years on him, yet whereever I go, I don't get so much as a nod or a tip of a hat."

"My friend," began the 6th son of a 7th son, "I empathise completely, as I am the 6th son of a 7th son, and have thus been denied any form of prestige or position of note in this world. Worse than that, not many others know that I am in fact the 6th son of a 7th son of a 7th son of a 7th son of a 7th son, and so on, going back to the early days of man. My countless ancestors were important, successful people in their own right, yet it is deemed that only one is remembered every generation."

The funk of 50,000 years considered this for a time, and then spoke, choosing his words carefully.

"My friend," he began, "your situation is unfortunate and it is unfair that you and your ancestors have not had the recognition that you may deserve. My situation is even more poignant by the fact that some 10,000 years ago, I was the funk of 40,000 years, but unfortunately there was no song, no dancing man, no wolf-metamorphosis. My situation was decided by the whim of a popular music singer. Had he chosen the bolder sounding 50,000 years, my life would have been changed beyond measure."

The 6th son of a 7th son leaned forwards and peered through the fires.

"Forgive me, friend, but surely, due to the fact that the song in question was written in 1979, the funk of 40,000 years is now the funk of 40,026 years, and no longer the celebrity in question? You yourself are now, surely, the funk of 50,026 years, are you not?"

"I applaud you on your reasonings, my friend, however it is a peculiar quirk of this earth that its funks only come into being once every ten thousand years. Thus, in the earth year of 11979, a new funk will come to be. The funk of 40,000 years will then assume my role, but by that time, all remembrance of his fame will have long since dissipated. I will become the funk of 60,000 years and unless a reference to me is made in some form of popular medium, I shall be doomed to my anonymity for all time. You are fortunate in that your life ends quickly."

The 6th son of a 7th son thought about this for a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home