Friday, September 30, 2005

Alternative Heroes - Dermot Power


I was 13 years, 5 months and 10 days old when I first encountered Dermot Power. Having read some of my best friend's back issues of the weekly comic 2000AD, I decided to start collecting it. The first issue I bought happened to feature two stories illustrated by Power, as well as the front cover. Although I religiously collected the comic for another 8 years, I was never awed in the same way by any other artwork.

Dermot Power's work in those early issues (particularly in the Slaine story Demon Killer) was breathtaking... his paintings were sophisticated and beautiful, reminiscent of the Renaissance masters, and from that moment on I was hooked. Although legendary artist Carlos Esquerra is rightly considered the definitive Judge Dredd artist, I was always particularly pleased when Dermot Power was given the canvas, notably in the excellent Book of the Dead. Since I lost touch with 2000AD, I haven't really heard too much about him. I did hear that he worked as a story board coordinator on the Star Wars prequels, but that's about it.

I was always an avid artist, sketcher and drawer, but seeing the incredible works of art that Power produced inspired me greatly and forced me to improve and progress further than I would have done otherwise. For this, as well as for being, in my humble opinion, the greatest comic book artist that has ever been, Dermot Power you are an alternative hero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home